Thursday 3 March 2011

My Carbon Footprint

8.48 Earths, Wow. A little more than I expected, but still understandable. My household uses power efficient globes, water saving shower heads and recycles religiously yet still produce a high footprint. Why? I believe It's due to our methods of transport. We have 4 cars (and one motorbike) and drive a large amount of kilometers everyday. Living in Australia proves difficult to travel green and efficiently. The public transport system is slow, time inefficient and un-accessible  in many areas. As an example, It takes me 45 minutes on average to travel to University buy car, if I was to catch public transport my journey would take close to 2 hours. A long journey on a crowded and hot train is defiantly less appealing than an air conditioned car.

I believe this issue would prove common to many Australians. Being such an open and expansive country, many people opt for mid to large sized vehicles to commute due to comfort, accessibility and ease of driving on Australia's open roads.

Maybe with better public transport implementation our ways will change!?   

No comments:

Post a Comment